The Battle of Verneuil 17 August 1424

The Battle of Verneuil 17th August



1424


Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Composition is Everything?

OK, it seemed as though the transition from basing my HYW English from Warhammer Ancient Battles over to Impetus should have been a doddle given that Impetus affords a much larger basing area and thus more room for adding those vignette style bases that I'm so fond of......

For those who don't- you can see what I mean by vignette style on my website here:

http://darrellhindley.co.uk/?page_id=245

Easy? Well, actually no! The extra space afforded by Impetus seems to have guided me 'back' towards putting the units together so they look like a more coherent mass of Medieval soldiery and away from leaving too many spaces on each base. I'm almost at a loss to explain it. Since I was eleven I've had it drummed into me that the essential thing about composition was to have some sort of balance in each 'scene'. Art college did away with a lot of these notions, where I learnt that dis-chord in an image could as easily and was sometimes the only way of conveying a message.

So why the back peddling? Maybe it's something as simple as losing my bottle on the larger bases and not being as willing to experiment these days? I'm really at a bit of a loss to explain all of this.....

So, whilst I ponder, here's a couple of pics of the finished Men-at Arms bases (OK, so they need some filler- save that topic for another day!)





Don't forget, you can click on the images to enlarge them.

8 comments:

  1. Balance or discord?? Each has it´s advantages. Balance, you tend to see the whole, with discord it tends to attract the eye to a particular point and add tension. I was told the same as you..don´t ever put a road (or whatever) parallel to the sides of a dio but sometimes it works to divide a scene and create a certain harmony. I´m waffling now :-)
    The figures look great btw
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. The figures look great!The good thing about Impetus other then the great basing opportunities is that the figure requirement is unimportant and therefore no price to pay leaving you room to change models from base to base at will.
    So,on your next base try about 8 figures and see how that goes.If it doesn't feel right(which is important) you can always scrape some places free and add more later if you wish.
    Best of luck!

    Cheers
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. [qoute]The figures look great!The good thing about Impetus other then the great basing opportunities is that the figure requirement is unimportant and therefore no price to pay leaving you room to change models from base to base at will.[/qoute]

    Yeah I agree Christopher. There was actually a lot of humming and harring when I came up with the compositions used in the last two bases. I think you've seen my WAB HYW English? With the basing for the WAB army I went for a much more dynamic approach, often leaving mini's out as to suggest what was/is coming next. Perhaps because La Journee is the build up to the Battle of Verneuil demo game that I feel more inclined to have the units have a more conventional appearance?

    [quote]So,on your next base try about 8 figures and see how that goes.If it doesn't feel right(which is important) you can always scrape some places free and add more later if you wish. Best of luck! Cheers Christopher[/quote]

    I've got a 'surprised archer base' coming next (many of the English archers were ridden down at Verneuil not playing a part in the battle until a while after the 'arrow storm' was unleashed. Maybe this is an ideal time to go back to the style of basing I was using with the previous army.

    We shall see :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a diorama convert as well, I can support your experiences with composition issues. I found especially those dismounted knights quite difficult to handle. On the one hand they need some spacing in order to perform fencing with polearms and longswords. On the other hand they easily look too dispersed for a unit of heavy (i.e. close order) infantry. I came up with a compromise like you, but I'm still not happy. By now I would avoid spreading out the whole unit.

    It's maybe better to pack most of them together in the base's back centre or in one corner and put only a few models out of this block, indicating individuals who engage the enemy in duels. You could also try to incorporate terrain - obviously with things like fences, walls etc, or more subtly with hills from or onto which the warriors are storming.

    However, your painting on these is awesome, and I'm really looking forward to see the base finished.

    Cheers
    SG

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always Very Nicely painted sir! :-)
    As for the basing issue, the new Hail Caesar rules are stand based are they not? so you can use for that and Impetus so it will be well worth the effort and pondering.I know first off they will go to Third Crusade but I'm sure they will get to late Medieval some day :-)

    Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darrell,
    Impetus creates great opportunity for some 'stories' to be based, but I have shared the angst of composition - and currently have some figures that are 'parked' awaiting me to have another think on options.
    For what its worth I have slight preference for the top one...
    Cheers
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments guys.

    I'm going to go for a more typical (of me) type of base for some archers and see how it pans out.

    Of course I'll be posting the results along with the finished bases from my last post just as soon as i've sorted one more little problem out.....

    See my next (above) post for details.

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darrell,

    stuff is really coming along - be good to see what your aiming at though - any chance of posting your order of battle??

    the big diorama bases work great - can't wait to see the cav!

    all the best

    Roy

    ReplyDelete