The Battle of Verneuil 17 August 1424

The Battle of Verneuil 17th August



1424


Friday, 10 February 2012

It's Not Often That.......

Hi,

It's been what seems like a very, very long time since my last 'real' post. Indeed it most certainly is! I've been unwell of late and have been unable to get much done in the way of painting and modelling. I'll be making an announcement as regards my illness on a couple of the wargaming fora that I will be returning to in the near future but for now it's best to concentrate on the matter at hand! Wargaming of course!!

Todays topic then, is Claymore Castings. This range sculpted by Paul Hicks and commisioned by David Imrie and Andrew Taylor does indeed show great promise. The miniatures are based on the Battle of Otterburn and the sculpts that I have seen really conjure up the look of the Scottish force lead by Douglas on that fatefull day in Northunbria. The stylistic difference between other companies versions of the Scots in the Late 14th C is a subtle but marked one and works very well indeed- the Scots Spear really look then part. Again, based upon what I have seen much of the the Claymore Castings range would also be great for other armies in North Western Europe at the end of the 14th C and many would be fine for earlier in the century as well.

I should be receiving a sample or two soon which I'll paint up (immediately!) and post a pic or two here. In the meantime I'll let the pics do the talking:










OK, that's about it for now. As I've said, I hope that I'll soon have a few painted up in all their glory. You can follow the news of how the range progresses on Dave Imrie's Saxon Dog Blog.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your illness, I realy hope that you soon will get bettre and manage to paint the nice Scottish minis from Claymore Casting.

    Best regards Dalauppror

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really sorry to hear about your illness too Darrell - are you going to be up for coming down to Salute?

    Regards,

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, I really appreciate your sentiments :O).

    I'm certainly going to make the effort for Salute. Just got to decide what the Lance and Longbow Soc. game is going to be. I think George is taking up the reigns this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great

      That reminds me to sort out my membership. I let it lapse last summer due to moving country, but I need to get it sorted out.

      Delete
  4. I was sorry to hear of your illness when you mentioned it and happy to hear your at least getting on track again or moving towards that.
    Indeed the range does look very promising indeed and I'll likely pike some up at some point.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there that man!! Glad to see a new post.Sorry to hear about your illness, hope you can dig deep and carry on as the Blog and wargaming scenes have missed your eye candy of late :-)Hope you get well soon :-)

    Jason

    ReplyDelete