The Battle of Verneuil 17 August 1424

The Battle of Verneuil 17th August



1424


Monday, 2 April 2012

A Oxford! a Oxford!

Hi all,

First off, let me thanks everyone for their encouragement as regards my illness in the last post. I was really touched by the support passed to me and I really do appreciate it. Kudos to you all!

OK, down to business.... I mentioned in my last post that I had some painted Perry Miniatures from their HYW range left over from my original idea for my HYW English army. With the painting efforts put into the Verneuil Game we did for Salute last year these mini's were packed up in bubble wrap and put to one side with the expectation that they may not see the light of day until 2015! I'm sure you're all aware that the 600th anniversary on Agincourt falls in that year?

I decided that it would be a real shame not to be able to display such beautifully sculpted miniatures and that combined with me feeling under the weather prompted me into doing a bit of vignette work . Here's the first base, it's meant to represent Richard de Vere encouraging the (no doubt somewhat very surprised to still be alive!) men at arms forward into the melee at Agincourt. As a quick aside, one day soon I intend to do a heavily converted version of the romanticised image of Henry V standing over the body of Richard de Vere. Maybe some of you have seen the Victorian image I'm referring to? I couldn't find one on the net but I'll keep looking.

A couple of interesting facts, the de Vere family were staunch Lancastrian supporters during the Wars of the Roses and Richard was one of the prosecuters at the trial of Richard, Earl of Cambridge and Lord Scrope at Southampton prior to setting sail to France in 1415.

Next up will be Lord Camoys and Sir Thomas Erpingham, but for now here are the pics of Richard de Vere:













8 comments:

  1. Stunning work !!!

    Nice with some historical background.

    Keep up the good work !

    Best regards dalauppror

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work Darrell, love the flag too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! The lads will certainly be well led . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darrell,
    Fantastic work. I hope to see these on a table one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      You may well do so in 2015! :O)

      Darrell.

      Delete
  5. Great!
    Love the motion in the miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice blog and minis painted, I 'm very interested by the battle of Verneuil , congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work! I am a descendent of de Vere on my Mother's side of the family. Cool seeing "Grampa" in miniature. :)

    ReplyDelete