The Battle of Verneuil 17 August 1424

The Battle of Verneuil 17th August



1424


Friday, 6 March 2015

Verneuil, The Second Agincourt, 1424, Richard Wadge Arrives!! Excited!!!

I get back from the gym to be greeted by a package that I have been looking forward to with relish. Other then reading his inspiring Phd Essay Verneuil, Towards a History of Courage, Mike Jones, War in History and  The Agincourt War, Alfred H Burne (An out of date account by any standards) I have not had the pleasure of reading anything on the battle other then the usual mention in the many military history books pertaining to the HYW.



Unfortunately, the book has landed on the hall floor and caught me in the middle of some heavy reading on the North West Frontier and in particular the  Second Afghan War so I'm left with a bit of interesting dilemma! Do I interrupt my research into the NWF or go with my first love, the Hundred Years War and get stuck into the book?

I think I know which one of the two will win out!

Of course, The Battle of Verneuil was the original inspiration for this blog as well as being the subject of our (Simon Chick and I) Award Winning game at Salute in 2011 so it would be trite not to reintroduce a few pics from back then to round this little article off. One last thing, I'll be reviewing the book the moment I've read it so stay tuned!










Bye for now.

16 comments:

  1. That's a not bad looking table from Salute. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, it was good enough to win a prize- I forget which one though!

      Darrell.

      Delete
  2. Blimey. That table is just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a sight to behold! I reckon that there will be some competition as Simon [Painterman] is doing all the stuff (with the possible exception of some casualty vignettes etc from me?) the terrain and mini's for Agincourt at Salute this year which given that it's the 600th anniversary of the battle should be brilliant!

      Delete
  3. Always a joy to see pictures from your game, love it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To tell you the truth Michael, they are old pics! On the day I'd remembered my camera, just forgotten to put the bloody battery in it!! [Seriously embarrassed smiley] :>)

      Darrell

      Delete
  4. That's a very fine HYW collection indeed and a nice scenic table too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The terrain and most of the mini's are Simon's. I contributed about 1/3 of the English.

      Darrell.

      Delete
  5. Let us know what the books like - may have to get a copy!
    Cheers - Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just finished it (read in one sitting). It's not too bad though it does (through necessity) go over old ground including the background of events starting prior to Agincourt!! I think that any student of Verneuil would be well versed in the history of the HYW?? more so tan the author in my case! That's not to say that it doesn't have it's merits, I'll talk more about it on this blog later today Simon.

      Delete
  6. That's a very inspiring looking set up. It's games like that which have me coming from California to Salute this year.
    Mr. Wadge's book isn't available in the US till June this year (according to Amazon).
    Cheers
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth the read for what he does add, which if you have read Mike Jones Thesis is not all that much but still worth meditating upon. He makes some good points about the Scottish archers and their probable quality. Once I've re-read the book- I kind of read it all in one sitting(!), then I'd be happy to write a review.

      Delete