The Battle of Verneuil 17 August 1424

The Battle of Verneuil 17th August



1424


Friday, 19 June 2015

Hundred Years War, To the Strongest Part III,

We got on with the game that we'd started as a rules pick up last week tonight. I have to say that I'm beginning to think that TtS is not that well suited to the Late Medieval period as it is extremely hard to cause a hit on a Veteran unit of (Knights) Men at Arms and this actually, although correct, was a bit of a stumbling block last evening as both flank manoeuvres failed with the mounted knights and that sort of drove us into a stand still as it was proving to be extremely difficult to progress on the flanks from there for either side.

Another thing that we found to be none consistent with Late Medieval Warfare was the shooting system where you have about a 30% chance of a hit but it is not entirely all that difficult to save (or so it proved) and this really doesn't get the measure of what Medieval Archery was all about, yes to create disorder, but also to force your opponent into expending the energy to have to attack you. The problem lies in that missile fire was just not as exacting as it would have been in Medieval times to encourage one side to move forward/charge into melee. We hummed and harred about what to do about this but unless we made it easier for missile troops to score a hit, which is not desirable as it would upset the finely honed rules, it appears as though we've hit a buffer. something to be considered......

Having said all that we have picked up enough of the system (which is actually great) to see that it would be brilliant for much less shooty armies of earlier times and superb for most Ancients armies. I even found myself thinking Ancient Indian and as soon as I got home I was scouring (pun not intended) the internet for suitable mini's but I wouldn't find any of good enough quality for what I would want in 28mm. Maybe I should grab a good sculptor and commission one? Seriously, there isn't a great deal of choice out there in my preferred scale.











Bye for now.

8 comments:

  1. Darrell, I know almost zero about Ancients, but I think Indus Miniatures makes nice things, might be too modern but maybe worth a look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna- i think they're more Later Moghul stuff. I do know the sculptor so could ask him about it and see what he thinks.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this report. I haven't seen these rules myself, but I'm looking for a set that will re-inspire my interest in the HYW and get my medieval figures out of storage. Your review is helpful. The figures are quite impressive, lovely table.
    Cheers,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ***are*** a very good inventive and slick set of rules. I would recommend them to everyone out there. I'm still not convinced with them for the HYW but Simon has made some suggestions (below) that may help clear things up. We'll be giving it another go in Thursday so watch this space :>)

      Delete
  3. Hi Darrell, I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. Can I check that the longbows were firing twice on each shooting activation? It is often possible for them to get 4 or 6 shots off in a single turn, causing 1-2 hits (before saves of course). If you wanted to try one thing to balance it I'd look at removing the +1 save modifier for later knights (which is perhaps overgenerous), or alternatively increasing the to hit for the longbows to a 7.

    Great looking game!

    Best, Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon, it's not the rules per say, which i do think are excellent and I hope that I made that clear on my write up(?).

      Yeah, we're either having really weird bouts of luck or it's hard to get the longbows to get that many arrows loosed in one turn? I'm thinking that removing the +1 modifier as you have suggested for Later Knights might just do the trick. We're playing again on Thursday so I'll be reporting back on the progress after the game as usual :>)

      Delete
  4. I've played quite a few times with medievals: http://baronvonj.blogspot.com/2015/01/to-strongest-playtest.html
    The archery seemed just right to me, especially with the 2 shot availability. Our archers softened them up, then the men at arms moved in for the kill. Buuuuut, as you'll see in the game, we use a d10 instead of cards. Slightly, very slightly, more variation.
    -J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reply J.

      Yeah, I''ve been having a dialogue with Simon (a very amiable and approachable chap) , the author, about the Late Med. aspects of the game and he's made a few suggestions that we will probably carry out tonight. Watch this space- or rather the one above it!

      Delete