The Battle of Verneuil 17 August 1424

The Battle of Verneuil 17th August



1424


Friday, 31 July 2015

Bloody Barons Cherry if Finally Popped!

Hi,

Last night at the club I had my first forray into the world of Bloody Barons by Peter Pig. I used to have a copy when I was a member of SESWC bit at the time at the club there wasn't all that much going on in the vein of Late Medieval games so I sold my copy. It was much to my delight when I discovered my gaming group at Durham Wargames Group have played it and were willing to indulge me enough to introduce me to the game.

I'm always on the lookout for rules that capture the feel of a certain period for Late Medieval games and these rules certainly did not disappoint! The terrain set up was a river running down the middle of the table with a built up area to our left flank.  The pre-game preliminaries are just as important (if not more!) as the actual tactics one uses on the tabletop- we didn't get that far as 'our side' lost pretty much all the pre-game dice rolls and the game was declared to be a severe loss for both Mike and I, which if I'm honest, was somewhat of a mercy on the parts of Jim and Nigel! All our men at arms were shuffled into positions that made the game untenable prior to the first arrow being loosed.

Next week , after giving the rules a thorough read through again, we'll be playing on a much more simplifies set up for terrain in order to me to get used to the actual mechanics of the game.

I have to add, that I've never laughed out loud so much in the pre-game preliminaries as I did prior to the game last night. So much so in  fact that I forgot to take many pics of the game! If the rest of the rule set is anything like as much fun as the setting up then this is going to be one rule set that I stick with for the Wars of the Roses.

Many thanks to Nigel who played and umpired the game the chaps for introducing me to a great rule set of the Wars of the Roses!









Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment